What are the Co-Ops like?
The student experiences two co-op positions. One “front of the house” or guest contact and one “back of the house” or non-guest contact experience. See below for a listing of winter positions.
How many hours per week?
Students work an average of 35 hours per week during the co-op term. Many KSRM students continue working on days off through the spring term.
Does the student get paid?
Yes… the prevailing wage for the positon. Average winter term co-op earnings are approximately $4,500per student…some years a little more, some a little less.
Last year was a good year…with students earning an average of $7136
Are there courses at the same time? How does the co-op work? How many credits?
Each Co-Op is 9 credits. Co-Op I and II classes are held on Tuesday afternoons during the winter term. It is here where the students share experiences from the most recent week in addition to class discussion on management development topics such as leadership, communication, motivation of hourly employees, financials and marketing effectiveness.
The student has additional course work: weekly assignments, homework, and term long projects focusing on operations.
Students are evaluated by the Killington supervisor several times during the term. The student has one-on-one debriefings with the Killington Co-Op Coordinator and RHM faculty after each of these evaluations.
Many Co-Op II students have the opportunity to become team leaders, with the responsibility for 6-8 employees.
Here is a list of some recent co-op positions for the winter term:
Front of the house:
- Killington Guest Services
- Ticket sales: Ramshead, Skyeship and Pico base lodges
- Equipment Rentals: Snowshed, Ramshead, and Bear Mountain base lodges
- Burton Demo Center at Snowshed base lodge
- Banquet Services at the Killington Grand Hotel
- Front Desk: The Killington Grand Hotel and The Villages at Killington
- Retail: Ramshead and Snowshed base lodges and Killington Sports stores
- Base lodge food & beverage
- Ramshead Day Care Center
Back of the house:
- Snowmaking and grooming in mountain operations
- Reservations at the ski school call center
- Lodge cleaning services
- Lift operator for mountain operations
- Terrain park grooming
- Food and beverage: The Killington Grand Hotel and base lodges
- Cash room and auditing
- Night audit
- Village housekeeping